Saturday, August 28, 2004

State Fairs

I talked with Ashley and my Dad this week, both mentioned going to the CA State Fair. Aww, the CA State Fair, what memories it brings. It is always the last weekend of the summer, Labor Day weekend, which somehow causes the temperature in Sacramento to sky-rocket to unbearable as everyone heads off to the giant asphalt of Cal Expo. For the record, it was 98 yesterday. We would head to the exhibit halls to escape the heat and learn one tidbit of new information that makes it worth going year after year. For 5 years Jeremy and I lived in NC, just minutes away from the fair grounds there. Now, August in NC can be just as hot as CA, so southerners have figured out that fall is a much better time for outdoor activities. I forced Jeremy out to the fair on several occasions, as being a Sacramentan (does that imply more that I'm from Sacramento??) it was a rite of passage for the end of summer to go to the fair. So in NC, it was more like an embrace of the fall. Fresh apple cider, the last of the season's corn roasted and then dunked in melted butter, BBQ....drool. But my whole 'memorable' life, I've had the choice to go to the state fair or not, so imagine my surprise as I now live just minutes away from Seattle, and yet, the State Fair is hours away. Everyone here talks about the fair in Puyallup. Puyallup. You're chance pronounciation is as good as mine. Oh, how I would trade my beautiful 74 and sunny today for 100+ and a chance to go to the fair in minutes!!