Monday, March 21, 2005

The banana and other mysterious food items

This entry is about our high chair. When we moved out of the company housing which had a nice simple Graco high chair we had to purchase our own high chair. We wanted something that would last. So we headed off to Toys R' Us, to surround ourselves with high chairs to make the choice. We pulled them all down, and studied them. Narrowed our choices down. Had the 2 out and were staring when another Mom came passing by. She said, "If you are trying to decide, get the Peg Pergo. I love it." (Note: price tag is much much higher on this 'Italian' brand.) It has served us well, as Keira is using it now, and Cassidy still loves to get in it. Yet, this morning, Keira drew my attention to something I was and wasn't so aware of about the chair. Keira squished up her banana and mushed it into every crevice of the thing. Now, I have to admit I'm not a clean freak like some Moms, and today it was driven home. I would like to say that I now realize I should have demanded a letter of recommendation and references from that Mom in Toys R' Us. For those with weak stomachs, stop reading now. So I get out the paper towels to get rid of the mushed nanner and start cleaning nooks and crannies. I thought I was a clean person, but as chunks of dried bread fell out along with old peas I started to wonder. I didn't feel as bad as I had to dig deeper to get at the banana because it was impossible to get my hand between the sides of the chair. I literally pulled the plastic to try and give enough room to get the towel in there. It was like flossing the high chair! Now, don't get me wrong, the tray and seat are always clean, and these 'nuggets' were coming out of parts of the chair that the kids would not be able to reach. Which is why I don't know how that stuff got in there. My advice, stick to the cheap brand of high chair that's easier to clean.